Monday, May 03, 2010

Eventually It Comes Together

Several months ago, Abby sent me a gift of fiber to spin. It happened to arrive on my birthday, so I considered it my birthday present :). I spun the fiber almost immediately into a three-ply, ready to knit some gloves or mitts:

red yarn

I even started to knit them, but alas, got involved in other things and they languished. Interest was revived when Abby gave me another batt this Spring:

abby batt

I divided this batt into three sections, and spun them on separate spindles:
3 singles

The top spindle is a Maggie (also a gift from friend Connie), the middle is a Desko and the bottom is an Ethan Jakob from Greensleeves.

I wound the three strands into a plying ball, leaving very little on the Desko, and a bit more on the Ethan Jakob:

3 spindles

I've started to ply on a Tabachek that I bought as one of my first spindles at Olds last June:

plying Tabachek

Now I plan to rip back the false start of last year's cuff, and restart with at least these two colors. I may add a third yarn, a 3-ply white angora I've had spun up for several years: the fiber was also a gift, this time from Helen of Bay Colony Farm.

Percolate. Some projects take a while to percolate to the top. Sometimes it takes a catalyst to re-start the process after a lull. But eventually....all things come together, with a little help from my friends :).

4 Comments:

Blogger Lynn said...

But in the meantime, you gotta make sure you have enough spindles - you know, for inspiration strikes!

(sorry, couldn't resist)

(and I typed spinspiration first - really, I did!)

6:55 PM  
Blogger Sharon said...

And that's exactly where I got stalled in spindling. I'm bringing all three of my spindles to retreat and when I leave, I expect to be on board the spindle train. woo-woo

8:33 PM  
Blogger Phiala said...

Lovely - both the yarn and the spindles. I wish there were more people making gorgeous low-whorl spindles, but it's interesting to watch the fashions in spindles change over time. Right now high-whorl is in.

You make a good point about percolation too. For me often it takes a while (usually an embarrassingly long time) for a project to go from conception to finish.

6:49 AM  
Blogger kim said...

A Desko Spindle in The Wild - how nice to see!

3:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home