Friday, December 04, 2009

Spindle Yarns

When does a new activity become an obsession?
all spindle yarns

I've been stealing time from other holiday preparations to spin:
spindle yarns

First I tried all sorts of different fibers and spindles. Oddly enough, for someone who does not use spindles (until now), I had quite the collection.

But, as is the case for 'most any new process that needs to integrate into the larger picture, I'm done with the playing around, and on to the planning of projects, and spinning towards a few goals. This will be a pair of gloves:
glove yarn

The blue mix is some of my first spinning, and the orange blend I simply had to have when I saw someone else spinning it at Olds. I think they will look nice together, despite somewhat of a variation in grist.

This is some of the very first yarn from that same spindle, Lincoln, for pile:
lincoln spindle yarn

Much of the first spinning will in fact be pile yarns: very forgiving in that they will end up as 1" cut lengths :).

The blue is my carry-around spinning, a wool-silk blend from Lambspun, which will join a few skeins of wheel-spun cashmere-silk and wool-silk already destined for a shawl:
blue wool silk

It must be some part of my Virgo personality that makes it imperative that I spin for something, rather than just spin. Lots of spindle spinning lately, which I am sure will improve my technique, and also give me a nice shawl, some gloves and yarn to add to the pile pile.

Obsessed. Is this a problem?

7 Comments:

Blogger Delighted Hands said...

For most activities, we would call it dedication! Beautiful yarns, btw.

9:54 AM  
Blogger Shell said...

Beautiful yarn, and obsessed? Not a chance. LOL

11:31 AM  
Blogger Deanna said...

A magnificent obsession. :-)

1:13 PM  
Blogger judy said...

looks like you were bitten hard.

1:19 PM  
Blogger Charlene said...

Heh!

5:39 AM  
Blogger Kristine said...

All your skeins of practice = adorable. The yarn you are making for new gloves is amazing. Spin lil' spindle, spin!

8:30 AM  
Blogger DEEP END OF THE LOOM said...

I would call it practice like you do when you learn to play an instrument, practice, practice, practice. And in the meantime you have such beautiful yarn for future project. I think its a win-win situation.

12:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home