Wednesday, April 29, 2009

'Fess Up Time

CNCH came and went. It was a good conference, lots of happy people, good organization, a very welcoming committee, good workshop rooms, great weather, a delightful bit of walking each morning and evening to and from the classrooms. It was held in Sonoma, which is an eminently walk-able town in the wine country of California, full of charming cottage homes, cheery gardens in full bloom (and full of pollen, alas), with sunshine, funny amorous ducks in the pond, families picnicking in the plaza, in short, just about picture-perfect.

Not only was it a good conference for my companions and me, there was the added bonus of eating out every night in multi-star restaurants and having The Best Food Ever (with Excellent Wines!) at any conference that I can recall, which was fabulous, of course, because as every one knows, going to these conferences is All About The Food!

On my arrival home, I found the boxes of yarns I had ordered:

red deer

That is Alice Starmore's Hebridean 3-ply in Red Deer, for Inishmore (Ravelry link).

I know. I could have planned this in handspun, or some other wool of the same grist. I did not.

Now, you might have noticed the plural form of the word box in reference to what awaited me upon my arrival. Yes. Two boxes of yarns came (er, were ordered), the second is this:

Scottish fleet

Scottish Fleet, for Kinsale. White! I may or may not dye it pale blue. White is so....white. Will dyeing change the character of the yarn so much that the knitting experience will be compromised? I may have to try a skein and see. That would involve knitting a swatch, washing the swatch, dyeing the rest of the skein and then knitting and washing that into the same swatch. I may be too impatient. But if so, I have Inishmore to knit first!

Not only do I have yarn, I now have a stash......oh Ravelry, cruel mistress.

I also have dyes. I am knitting the last of the deadline project this week, and as I do so, I will contemplate the dyeing. If you have an opinion, now is the time :).

10 Comments:

Blogger Sharon said...

Good grief. How many stitches to the inch and how many yards?? I don't think you'll be knitting either one of those to a deadline :-)

12:20 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Dyeing shouldn't change the yarn's qualities too much from what you feel now.

2:42 PM  
Blogger Kristine said...

Ha! I love it! I agree Ravelry is a cruel and dangerous place.

4:03 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Yup - icey pale blue I agree. White is so - white!

U know what I mean. That icey blue one sees in the two tone eyes of an Australian Shepherd.

9:17 PM  
Blogger Patricia said...

So now can we change your tombstone to read "here lies a knitter"?

8:42 AM  
Blogger kim said...

Sara Lamb in clothing without colors!?!? I'm not sure I would recognize you. :)

10:26 AM  
Blogger claudia said...

Mmmmm. Sonoma. Wine and food paradise!

2:52 PM  
Blogger Marcy said...

How very curious.

3:01 PM  
Blogger Theresa said...

The ice blue sounds perfect. How lovely really.

5:24 AM  
Blogger Birdsong said...

What a big commitment, not one but two very complex sweaters... love the Red Deer. Glad to hear CNCH was so lovely; I hope there's another fiber event in Sonoma soon, as you are so right about the food and wine. Really elevates the whole experience, eh?

4:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home