Wednesday, December 31, 2008

Start As You Mean To Go On

The new year promises to be a little more productive already:
fabric 3 december 08 (2) small

The woven cloth logjam is certainly broken here at the Little Yurt Sweatshop: since the silk warp is out of the way, I've whipped on and woven off two warps and started the third:

fabric december 08 small

This is a long warp, a blend of cottons and rayon, dyed and warp painted, 20 epi.

It will be a new jacket for me. My old one is Actually Wearing Out, and no wonder since I made it in 1994. I've been getting several indicators that I need to make some new clothes: the latest was when a friend from the early '90's stopped me in the grocery store, and said "I recognized your coat and knew it had to be you". Sheesh, from 12 years ago!

I won't exactly be incognito in the new jacket: it is much the same colorway as the old one, but at least I will feel like I made an effort. I like these colors, and obviously they have worked for me in my wardrobe :).

Picking the weft involved a little sample:

fabric 2 december 08 small

The top one is 10/2 in burgundy (the chosen weft), the bottom is 8/2 in purple. The 8/2 is just slightly heavier; I like the fabric better with a finer weft. I also like the color better.

Well begun is half done; let us hope the new year continues on in the same fashion (hee! a pun! I crack myself up).

Happy New Year!

11 Comments:

Blogger Julie said...

I really love the colors and can't wait to see your jacket. I'm saving for a loom and can't wait to get one.
Happy New Year!

8:52 AM  
Blogger claudia said...

Happy New Year! I love your choices of colors.

3:22 PM  
Blogger Deanna said...

I love your colors too, and I would interpret the friend's comment to mean "when I see glorious color, it must be Sara!"

4:00 PM  
Blogger Laritza said...

I will be following the jacket construction closely. Love the colors!

4:42 PM  
Blogger Sharon said...

Funny when you say those colors work well for you. Whenever I see them in a combination, I think of you - in a good way :^)

7:48 PM  
Blogger Caroline M said...

Happy New Year to you. I love those colours, I keep looking at looms but I don't want to face the learning curve.

12:03 AM  
Blogger Valerie said...

Well you can take pride that the first coat was so well made that it lasted this long!

The colors are warmly wonderful to these cold Michigan eyes!

8:02 AM  
Blogger woolydaisy said...

happy new year sara! i look forward to lot's of fiber fun and adventure this year!!!

8:44 AM  
Blogger Ann said...

I love the colors, and the weft choice. Those are "Sara" colors, and anything else just wouldn't be the same.

6:28 PM  
Blogger Charleen said...

Beautiful fabric! I agree with your choice of weft. I'm going into a little loom withdrawal here. Hopefully I'll get something on it soon. Happy New Year!

5:26 PM  
Blogger Patricia said...

I heard a vicious rumor that you'll be posting a blog around 9:25 tomorrow morning. You're an evil woman.

3:57 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home