Saturday, July 14, 2007

Hot Off the Needles

summer in kansas4



Lindsey had barely finished this when I ripped it out of her hands yesterday. In fact, I ran in the last two ends this morning, and gave the edging a quick pressing for the photo: I didn't actually allow her to finish it. But I thought you would like to see a picture, before this goes away for a while:

summer in kansas3

The shawl is knit of silk (20/2 I think, but I will have to confirm that), needles size ? (hmmm, will have to confirm that too). It is the Summer in Kansas pattern from Two Old Bags. The shawl is about 70" across the top edge, and at least 45" from nape to tip (are you just loving the accurate details here??). The yarn was two silk blanks dyed by Nancy, and we are going tomorrow to Nancy's birthday party, so the shawl will go with us. How festive, eh?

(There are Canadians in the neighborhood this week, building a log home. My husband is working with them. The eh? is contagious).

A few close up shots:

summer in kansas1

summer in kansas5

summer in Kansas7

Lindsey did some alterations to the pattern, adding an extra edging and a row of single crochet along the top:

summer in kansas6

This last photo seems to be the most accurate color reproduction, it is really deep, rich colors. Nancy used Lanaset dyes, mixed up to a 2% depth of shade, to paint the silk blanks.

Lindsey is loaning the shawl to Nancy for a while to use in her classes. Those of you who take a class will be able to see this in person, and maybe even dye your own yarn to make one up. We, however, will wait patiently for her shawl's return and until then at least we have pictures (sigh).

Edit: The yarn is size 20/2 silk, needles used were size #5. Lindsey adds: "I was totally lucky the colors changed when they did. Thanks for showing off my shawl. If it were up to me my work would go into the closet and compost without being seen."

Me again: well, I've seen some of Lindsey's work, and may have to snag a few more of her beautiful shawls to show off for her.

9 Comments:

Blogger Guernseygal said...

Oooh... Pretty.... :-)

12:55 PM  
Blogger claudia said...

That is really a striking use of color with that lace.

2:32 PM  
Blogger Sharon said...

She was knitting lace on the retreat. Was that this? She did it so off-handed, like I do stockinette. It's kinda scary, really - like not knitting but something more.

5:21 PM  
Blogger Purple Fuzzy Mittens said...

I literally gasp when clicked into the site. That is absolutely gorgeous!! My second thought, almost immediately after, was, "I want to make one too!"

6:42 PM  
Blogger aija said...

What a beautiful deep color!!

7:20 PM  
Blogger soxchik said...

Oh Sara, that is so gorgeous. I took Nancy's class last summer and it changed how I dye things forever. It was a terrific learning experience.

8:22 PM  
Blogger Jackie said...

beautiful! and by complete coincidence, the comment verification code is "mywow"

5:27 AM  
Blogger Cathy said...

Wow! And yes, raid her closet to show more of her work!

12:48 AM  
Blogger Birdsong said...

Oh, wow! Go Lindsey:) as multi-talented as she is, I think she should start her own blog.

8:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home