Monday, April 09, 2007

Silk Shawl

Here's the straight shot (well, somewhat, obviously there is unruly fringe going on):

Silk shawl April 2007

And the artful, drapey shot:

silk shawl2 April 2007

Details: Handspun 2-ply silk, sett at 40 epi, 24" in the reed, woven 76" long (plus fringe). Finished dimensions 23 1/2" x 72", plus fringe.

The interesting thing (to me): I spun the silk on two different wheels, with differing ratios, giving one single a tighter twist. The 2-ply looked like a spiral yarn, which I thought would show up more in the woven goods. It does show up, on close inspection, just not as much as I anticipated. I thought there might be some surface variation in the fabric, and it's, well, as smooth as silk.

Here's the macro close-up (click for Really Big):

silk close up

See? Hmmm. We move on.

13 Comments:

Blogger Abby Franquemont said...

OK, that part interests me too.

So, do you think maybe the higher-twist single stretched under tension causing the more even look? Or do you have a theory as to what causes it to so barely show? I looked over the super-large version and honestly if you hadn't pointed it out I wouldn't have noticed. I bet it would show up more with a non-silk fiber and wet finishing, what do you think?

11:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is gorgeous - I love the colors in this.

3:57 PM  
Blogger Sharon said...

I'm always curious about application. Your cloth is drop dead gorgeous, but how will you use it? Is it a shawl or do you plan to sew with it, and if so, sew into what? I'm still at sea with silk - don't know how to apply it to use.

10:27 PM  
Blogger Marie said...

As usual, you inspire me when I see your work. Beautiful!

6:51 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hi this piece is SO gorgeous. Lovely colours. Helen

2:06 PM  
Blogger Charleen said...

Beautiful, Sara. Your eye for color is amazing.

5:52 PM  
Blogger claudia said...

Smooth as silk. That's pretty funny.

10:23 AM  
Blogger Jackie said...

Beautiful! Any quick tips on spinning silk? I just started spinning some silk and it is REALLY different from spinning what wool I have done.

4:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whoa! beautiful!!

1:04 PM  
Blogger c u r i o u s w e a v e r said...

Exquisite work Sara...and being handspun makes it even more beautiful. Your ikat style dye work and colours are 'heart moving'.

2:22 PM  
Blogger Deanna said...

Triple shimmer - the fibers, the spinning, the ikat. Lovely!

11:14 AM  
Blogger beadlizard said...

Enjoy the way the depth of shade of the blue bands emphasizes the shimmer of the lighter parts of the constrasting bands. Lovely. Once again, art fabric.

7:12 PM  
Blogger Birdsong said...

What?! Not red? Just kidding; these colors are so luminous and work so well together.

9:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home