Tuesday, February 27, 2007

A Small Diversion

The Conference of Northern California Handweavers (CNCH) will be held soon at Asilomar, on the Monterey Peninsula. The organizers are planning an auction of Art Postcards, and requested one from each of us. Here is mine:

cnch postcard



My first, and perhaps only, *Art* (haha) postcard, hopefully never to be actually mailed, because it does not meet postal regulations (the beads). I could not help myself though: I'm guessing most postcards are collages, with lots of sewing and stamping, printing and dye effects, but I am not a stamper. I was a beader, was being the operative word, now I'm more of an embellisher. The distinction is a little like the difference between lace knitting and knitted lace. There are lines in the sand, which must not be crossed.

Be that as it may, I enjoyed embellishing and stitching this postcard. It is a base of handwoven fabric, with a few snips of another fabric, some smashed coins and a few beads, plus an everlasting-life symbol fetish. Both fabrics are cotton/rayon warps, of yarns which vary from 2000 to 3000 ypp, painted, sett at 20 epi, woven with a single color weft.

I'm looking forward to seeing all the submitted postcards in the show. They will be auctioned off to benefit the scholarship fund at CNCH, a worthy endeavor.

An aside: this appears to be my 200th post. Who knew I could be so wordy? [that's a rhetorical question :)]

3 Comments:

Blogger Charleen said...

Very cool! I like the beads used to sew on the buttons. I might use that idea when I add the buttons to my sweater.

I remember seeing some that Archie Brennan made. I think he said that his actually went through the mail.

1:21 PM  
Blogger Marcy said...

Damn! For a minute there I thought you were going to do a "Post Secret" postcard. :D

3:04 PM  
Blogger Birdsong said...

Happy 200th post! The postcard idea seems to be popular these days, so you should see more than just stamping. I like the idea of mixing media, such as weaving and beads, and of course you used red. When is CNCH? I guess I haven't been paying attention

11:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home