Monday, June 12, 2006

At Last

Herewith, following up on the Inkle 101 post of how to weave a band, is how to make the bag from the band. You might remember that the bag was to be for my cell phone, and the band was woven out of crochet cotton.

Start by cutting a length, long enough to accommodate the cell phone:

inkle bag1

Then cut another, approximately the same length. They will be folded and sewn like this:

inkle bag2

Then sew them:

inkle bag3

That was the hold up, I got to *then sew them* and nothing happened for a week. These are sewn by hand, using a baseball stitch (maybe also called a figure 8 stitch?). It doesn't take long, maybe an hour to do.

The next step is to cover the raw edge (with blue linen, which will also be the lining). Also in the photo is a sample of the batting I use with the lining, called punch cloth (?) I think. It's just thin quilt batting used often for clothing, etc:

inkle bag4

So next we sew on the handle, again with the same stitch:

inkle bag5

It is folded under the bottom of the bag, and tucked in, then sewn to both the front and back of the bag:

inkle bag6

Next, we make a lining sandwich:

inkle bag7

which is a piece of lining material and the batting, folded over and stitched on the machine. It gets tucked into the bag, and stitched down around the opening.

The last step is a snap closure (and a test to make sure the cell phone fits):

inkle bag9

And (ta-da!):

inkle bag8

Inkle band cell phone bag. That wasn't so hard, was it?

Now, close your eyes and remember back to this post, and you'll see the same bag, except in silk pickup, with a cardwoven handle, that will most likely be the bag I use:

inkle bag10

See? the cell phone fits here too:

inkle bag11

(but I do need to sew on the snap closure. Wonder how long that will take to get done??)

To answer a few questions: Kim? First I use the Damascus edge to finish the warp ends (look in your handout, or Finishes in the Ethnic Tradition by Baizerman and Searle). Then the tops of the hats are sewn with the same stitch I used here: baseball stitch is what I call it (see? I'm really a one-note Sally, just different instruments!). And Cheryl? (welcome to the WeaveRing, by the way): the hats and quiver are my own design, but are a universal shape, I think. They are woven to shape on the loom, and look like a crown. Then the points get folded in, the sides are sewn, and the hat takes shape. I have a few more photos of the quiver, but none that show any more detail (dumb, I know. I should've taken more). And Birdsong and Charleen? Oh ye of little faith: the lace knitting went fine for WWKIP Day, no frogging necessary. It is a short edging, and each row has a different stitch count, so if I forget where I am, I just need to count. Here is a parting shot or two, with a few errant spinners:

KIPDay2006_006

KIPDay2006_004

Whew! Today, it was all about the photos.

9 Comments:

Blogger Charleen said...

So sorry, dear Sara, I'll never doubt you again! Now - can you talk, drink, and knit without losing your place?

8:16 PM  
Blogger Wendy said...

Hey, have I mentioned lately you're my idol?

(Not like you need to ask why but: you make weaving look by turns easy, joyful, beautiful, meditative, social, whimsical, charming in modes of function and modes of art)

10:42 PM  
Blogger Hannah said...

Very cool. Thanks for the instruction! I'm debating whether to buy or make an inkle loom, a rigid heddle like the Kromski, or a triloom for my first loom. It is now clear to me that inkle looms have a lot more flexibility than I thought.

5:06 AM  
Blogger Valerie said...

Hi Sara...
just a quick to let you know I'll be at Convergence and will definitely look for your gallery items.
Busy times here...I can read posts, but not much time to comment.
Also, thanks for the cell phone bag ideas. My MP3 player needs a bag. Maybe the inkle loom or cardweaving will go on vacation with me!

5:12 AM  
Blogger Marie said...

How cute is that? (hmmm, sounds like Rachael Ray from 30 Minute Meals). I don't have no stinkin' cell phone. What to do, what to do? Very clever, however. I especially covet the silk bag. Now go and sew the snap on!

8:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a super nifty and handy-dandy cell phone case! However, *sigh* here in Ireland, mobile phones are continually in use for every little thing that they're never in the case! Cheryl

9:49 AM  
Blogger Birdsong said...

Pretty slick little bags when all is finished! Am I to believe that your Fir Cone shawl is now completed? Looking forward to photos of it blocked.

2:54 PM  
Blogger c u r i o u s w e a v e r said...

Sara, your inkle bags just look wonderful, especially the pick up one. I have done alot of inkle loom weaving but you have the 'gift'. thank you.

8:28 PM  
Blogger zippiknits...sometimes said...

I think there is an inkle loom around here somewhere. Or will be.... ;o) My mother had one I think.

Thanks for the lovely tutorial!

7:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home