Friday, March 24, 2006

SPP?

Single Project Person. Who Knew??

Apparently I am a single project knitter. For some reason, I felt compelled to finish the blanket I had on the needles, before starting the next project, which I was anxious to get to: a shetland shaped shawl, Fir Cone from Cheryl Oberle's book Folk Shawls.

I bought new needles, and even bought(!) the yarn, I was so ready to start knitting. No time to spin: there will be time enough to do another shawl with handspun. This needed starting Now!, except, it had to wait.

Here's the blanket in question:

blanket3

A shawl-shaped garter stitch wool blanket done on big (10's) needles, using handspun I had dyed for something else, but hey. It came out nicely.

I can see the need for blocking wires: on a real shawl, I'd have pins in every point, but on this couch potato blanket, I only pinned it enough to get the shape right. A man on a running horse, etc:

blanket corner

So I finished knitting the blanket on Wednesday evening, tossed it in the washer to soak Thursday morning, spun out the water and set it up to block. Then I ran out to my LYS to pick up new needles, came home and cast on. The shawl starts with fir cone lace pattern for the center section:

fir cone

This is Silky Wool from Lavold, knit on 6's (4.0mm), Bryspun circs. The tips are just what I was looking for (joy!):

tips

Thanks to those of you who suggested them. I have already called Meadow Farm and ordered a few more sizes. The yarn is just slipping like silk, and the tips are scoopy and perfect for those psso's.

SPP was quite the surprise for me, and apparently only applies to knitting. I have at least 5 looms set up with projects, and more than 4 projects going on spinning wheels (I loves me them extra bobbins). Will it continue with the knitting?

Well, um, no. There's airplane knitting, there's social knitting, and there's secret gift knitting: this is for evening couch knitting. Hmmm. Maybe I'm not such a SPP after all.

6 Comments:

Blogger Valerie said...

Lovely shawl!! How did you dye the yarn? I like the way the color distributes through the project.

8:52 AM  
Blogger Birdsong said...

You willflip once you try blocking wires! Thanks for the note of support. I love the color of the blankie; I will have to find a way to get together and collect some of your dyeing wisdom - only worked with plant dyes over the years, with so-so results.

6:52 PM  
Blogger Charleen said...

SPP? I've never heard of such a crazy thing! (might be due to my hands clamped securely over my ears!)

4:24 AM  
Blogger claudia said...

I love the color on the blanket. And, how amazing and delightful that you BOUGHT YARN! What is the world coming to??

;-)

5:37 AM  
Blogger Sharon said...

A running horse, eh. My grandmother used to say, "Who's going to notice that on a galloping horse?" You're only the second person I've heard use that expression. Most applicable when two heels don't turn the same and I am vexed. Who's going to notice that on a galloping horse, inside my shoes?!

9:06 AM  
Blogger Leigh said...

Hey Sharon, make me the third. :) But no one noticing on a galloping horse is a helpful thought to me sometimes. When I make a mistake I always have to stop and decide whether or not I can live with it. If I know I can't, then I re-do! If I can, then it becomes a design element. Anyway, Sara the shawl is lovely.

11:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home