Thursday, August 11, 2005

Deadlines

Claudia asked if I had managed to meet all my deadlines, and Yes! I did. I was working on some entries for our County Fair, and I managed to finish 8 out of the 8 pieces I entered. But one piece didn't make the cut, the last fabric I worked on:

kimono fabric3 2005

I was not careful enough in the weaving, and the fabric ended up with lines, marks from the beating, or rather the uneven beating, on the loom. It is a disappointment, but not a total loss: I'll wear the eventual shirt, but I won't enter the fabric for display.

We (that is, the editorial we) want the fair display to entice people to weaving, interest them in what we do, not display the inevitable *not quite right* projects. So 7 entries went to the show.

The spinners, knitters, weavers and dyers in the guild did an excellent job this year. The overall presentation is varied and of very good quality, and there are some outstanding pieces.

Here are a few shots taken yesterday at the fair:

fair5 2005
scarves

fair6 2005
a triangle shawl

fair9 2005
another triangle shawl

fair1 2005
more shawls (and a silk band)

fair2 2005
some skeins of yarn (the gold one was the only junior category entry in spun yarns, done by a 10 year old boy)

fair7 2005
yardage, and another shawl

fair 2005
more shawls (the biggest woven category) and a bag

fair3 2005
a handspun sweater

fair4 2005
and a few more scarves

fair8 2005
a jacket: handwoven fabric, with surface design, and knitted sleeves in a variegated yarn. This is the back: the front is equally spectacular, but had the big distracting tags obscuring the handsome fabric.

project rug done3
The project rug is done and on display. The raffle will be Sunday afternoon, and I won't even be there. May it wing its way to a welcoming home.

We often get a few interested souls to join the guild after the fair. We spend time teaching inkle weaving, spinning on CD spindles, and knitting. We also demonstrate spinning, and this year weaving on a triangle loom, and there is a great display of silkworms, silk and reeling.

And, I leave you with this, for those of you who are carefully rearing your progeny, making sure that they eat the right things, get enough sleep, are read to, properly dressed, tended through all those social traumas at preschool and elementary school, and finally through those very expensive college years:

cliff boy (2)

*This* is what they do when you turn your back, when they are out on their own. This photo was sent shortly after an email description of surfing near *sharks*. That is, yes, sharks. Sigh. The subject line of the email when this picture arrived was *good safe fun*. *Where* did I go wrong?

5 Comments:

Blogger Kim said...

Beautiful pics of the fair items. I especially like the surface designed jacket. And admit it....the picture of your kid is pretty outstanding, too.

9:23 AM  
Blogger claudia said...

Sara didn't raise no wussy-boy.

;-)

Nice work on the goal-meeting. I'm crossing my fingers on the raffle...come hither little rug...

11:05 AM  
Blogger Charleen said...

Beautiful pictures. Our fairs have nowhere near the entries. My oldest son just bought a Harley. It's so brand new (Streetbob in Black Denim, for those who care) that it won't even be ready until October. That's good, since he's is now sporting an air cast and on crutches from a basketball injury.

12:54 PM  
Blogger ifthisistuesday.wordpress.com said...

Admirable entries for the fair; I'm sure we have a county fair somewhere around here, but, judging from the entries at the nearest fiber festival (a felted fox & an acrylic-looking afghan out of granny squares), I wouldn't hold out much hope for our county fair enticing anyone to do anything but run from the fiber arts. I want to go to YOUR fair!

Lisa
www.blackwaterpark.blogs.com

2:52 PM  
Blogger beadlizard said...

Oh, I love your fair. Last time DD and I went she was one inch too short for the rides, so we spent a lot of time with the 4-H animals instead.

The textiles are beautiful.

DD is fascinated by the photo of your son. My fingers are crossed that her fear of heights will keep her future exploits tame...

8:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home